Loved for its tranquility by many exponents of the world of culture and entertainment, Varigotti is made up of small medieval nuclei perched among olive trees and a “Saracen” village, with colorful houses with terraced roofs overlooking the beach.
In the heart of the old town, in Piazza Cappello da Prete, we will meet for a pleasant guided tour!
From the pier the view embraces the villages of Chien, with their proud defensive aspect, built on natural articulations of the rocky slopes, the hamlet of Pino, with buildings so thick as to merge into unitary architectures, and Cà dei Mori, with an overhanging tower house on the Aurelia and the sea. Referring to the latter toponym, Guido Valabrega, professor of the history of Afro-Asian countries at the University of Bologna, believed that the Saracens had settled in Varigotti …
The guided tour will lead us to the promontory of the Castle (also known as Punta Crena) characterized by the imposing lookout tower; up here, the traces of a Byzantine castrum tell us of a past greatness.
Continuing among the “bands” and tangles of the Mediterranean scrub we will be able to reach the ancient and silent church of San Lorenzo: a Benedictine monastery in a now remote past, it was the parish of Varigotti until 1585. High on a rocky spur dominating the bay of Saracens, San Lorenzo recalls the lyric “Sere di Liguria”, where Vincenzo Cardarelli compares our churches to ships about to set sail. All around, a dizzying sheer of white rocks, which are tinged with pink in the light of the sunset.
Meeting in Piazza Cappello da Prete (convenient to the car parks located on the former railway and the TPL bus stop – the old village stop / Saraceno hotel) – from June to September, meeting on Thursdays at 5.30 pm.