Is the name of Finalpia, or Valle Pia, linked to Marian devotion or does it derive from an ancient defensive Castrum of the maritime area?
Can the original nucleus of Finalpia be identified in the “companion” of Borgomare, an ancient fishing community settled on the Gottaro offshoots, where Castelfranco will later be built?
What intrigues divided the administration of the Municipality of Finalpia around 1869, the period of the troubled union with Varigotti? We will try to shed light on these and other historical events in the Pia district and the villages that compose it.
Leaving the Sanctuary of Maria Pia, with its beautiful Romanesque-Gothic bell tower, we will continue towards the fort of Castelfranco, built by Genoa in the second half of the fourteenth century with the aim of curbing the Marquisate’s desire for independence. The fort, destroyed, rebuilt and enlarged several times over the centuries, today has a star-shaped plant. Inside, we will be able to recognize the oldest structures, identifiable in the central polygonal tower protected by high walls.
In the mid-seventeenth century, when the Finale belonged to the Spanish Crown, the structure became a very important defense center and the Forts of Sant’Antonio, dell’Annunziata and Legnino were built on the hill above. At the end of the war of the Spanish succession, the ancient Marquisate passed under the control of the Republic of Genoa which began the demolition of part of the fortifications, partially saving only Castelfranco.
Meeting in Piazza Abbazia, in front of the Convent herbalist’s shop. Bus stop TPL lines 40 and 40 / in via Genova, and urban line Calvisio – Finalborgo stop on the same square. Parking in via Santuario.
Suitable for all ages
1 h 30 m
fino a –
Finale Ligure Pia